Sterilization in the Dental Office
Your health and safety is our first concern. That’s why we make sure proper controls and protocols are in place to protect both our valued clients and our staff. We practice high levels of sanitation and dental sterilization to provide you with the highest quality of care in the safest possible environment.
Practices we employ to ensure your safety
Our staff is extensively trained to follow dental sterilization processes recommended by the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
When cleaning instruments, we use the most up to date dental sterilization equipment and machines that kill bacteria through pressure, steam, and heat. These include dental autoclaves, dental sterilizers, and steam sterilizers.
We make sure that surfaces are safe and clean by:
- Requiring gloves and face masks
- Ensuring disinfectant hand soap and sinks are available throughout the office
- Using disposable materials when possible
- Cleaning surfaces and countertops with chemical disinfectants
- Sterilizing all equipment before and after each client
During your visit, you’ll see us using best practices in dental office sterilization. Our clinical staff will be wearing gloves and masks during procedures and examinations. These items will be discarded after each use, and all surfaces will be cleaned and sanitized with EPA approved chemicals.
Most of the materials we use in our patient care are disposable, including gloves, face shields, masks, and gowns, as well as gauze, brushes, and floss. These items are safely discarded after each use.
Our entire staff is trained in best practices for using and handling disposable materials, ensuring proper storage, usage, and disposal.
Instruments used during exams and procedures that cannot be discarded are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized between each use. The process below is used to ensure proper dental sterilization practices are followed:
- Clean – All instruments are meticulously cleaned before moving to the packaging step. Cleaning is carried out using ultrasonic cleaners, which ensure all bacteria and debris are completely removed.
- Package – Once clean, instruments are wrapped in appropriate packaging for sterilization.
- Sterilization – Once safely packaged, instruments are sterilized using FDA approved dental autoclave sterilizers and other dental sterilization equipment
- Disinfect – After each use, our machines and surfaces are closely disinfected with EPA approved cleaners.
After being cleaned, packaged, and sterilized, all dental instruments are safely stored until ready for use. This dental sterilization process follows best practices and ensures that a great smile is your only concern when visiting our office.
Training and our commitment to you
Your trust and confidence in us is the cornerstone of our practice. That’s why we work to provide you with the safest environment possible. Our staff undergoes in-depth training in cleaning techniques to make sure the most current techniques are practiced.
Our systems and methods are regularly updated following the guidance of the American Dental Association and the CDC. If you have any questions about them, just ask. Our team can provide you with additional information regarding the steps we take to protect you and your family from bacteria, viruses, and infections.
We look forward to seeing you and your family soon!